You just finished unloading all the furniture and boxes from the truck into your new home. All you want to do now is take a hot shower and relax.
But, wait!!! Everything is packed up in boxes somewhere.
Want to make sure this doesn’t happen to you??? Then, make sure you pack an Essenstials Box.
Essential boxes are boxes that contain important items that you will need during the final period of your move, and the first few days at your new destination. The essential box is often the last box to pack before you move and the first box you unpack after you get to you new home.
As you pack your shelves, cabinets, drawers etc. it’s important to identify items you may need during your first few nights at your new destination. This’ll make the transition easier and you won’t have to look for every necessary item in the sea of boxes.
What should the essential box contain, you ask??
The contents of your essential box should be relevant enough to enable you prepare meals, clean, wash, handle small emergency situations, and entertain yourselves while you unpack the rest of your belongings.
The following items are the major things you should consider packing into your essential boxes and label the box “Essentials.”
Bathroom Essential Items
- Toiletries, things you use every other day such as shampoo, conditioner, soap, floss, paste, deodorant etc.
- Towel for each member of the family
- Toilet paper
- Hand towel
- Bath mat
- Shower curtain (more important than you can imagine)
- Hair ties
Bedroom Essential Items
- Slippers, pajamas and a robe (if required)
- Linens and pillows
- Clean cloth for each member of the family.
- An Alarm clock (if required)
- A box to keep your dirty clothes
Kitchen Essential Items
- Sponge and dish soap
- Can opener
- Dish towel and dish cloth
- Kettle/Coffee pot
- Cutting knife and a big spoon
- Utensils, plates and cups (non-breakables and Reusable cups or plates may be used too)
- Medium stove pot
- You may pack your telephone if you own a landline
- Toaster or small toaster oven
- Peanut butter
- Instant coffee
Children Essential Kit
- Books and most favorite toys
- Kid snacks/formula
- Clean cloths
- Extra blanket
- Changing supplies
Pet Essential Kit
- Litter box and litter
- Pet dishes and food
- Pooper scooper
Some of your belongings are things you’ll need every other day at your new destination. Such items may be packed in a box, and placed in your car, so you can easily reach them. The following are some of such items:
- Phone charger
- Light bulbs
- Radio, small stereo or iPod dock
- Flash light, candle, matches
- Pens and marker
- Extension chord
- First Aid kits
- Reusable water bottles
- Tools (picture nails, screw driver, tape measure, box cutter, hammer etc.)
- Scissors/craft knife (to open all other boxes), trash bags, paper towels etc.
- Small emergency kit
- Important documents such as certificates, medical records, financial information, passport, leases etc.
It’s important to make a list of all your essential items before you start packing. As you pack each of the essentials, tick your list accordingly. Place your essential boxes in your car, but if you’re moving yourself, you may load it in the truck.